Re: HELP!@# my rocco's frame is cracked bad :( I need a clean lowmileage reasonably cheap A1 shell of any sort!

On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Gary Huff wrote:

> Dude, you don't understand. The crack is *BAD* and the way it's split
> scares me, it travelled from the bottom around and up sideways towards
> the airbox. This car has at least 170k on the chassis and the floorpan
> is dented to death also. There are other stress cracks showing in paint
> by the strut towers too. I think it's simply time for a new chassis for
> my 2.0l 16v & quaife, otherwise I will end up destroying this one. I
> don't want to have it welded and deal with that.

As for the crack, welding can be stronger than OG.  Most gt4 & rally cars
are seam welded for greater structural integrity. If you put a high HP
motor in another chassis & flog it mercilessly it could develop the same
cracks..

Buut, Could be an issue, the dented floorpan, i noticed on MK1's frame
damage can warp the floorpan.. if your chassis has other issues besides
stress cracks, you could well be better off with a new one...

But if yours is rust free & clean otherwise, LMK after you strip it :)

take care,

Steve