Re: Urgent help IDing a motor

Hey everyone, I went back and looked at it more with the owner present this
time. It's actually a 1980. The interior is in surprisingly good condition.
There are some electrical issues with lights, no biggie. The engine is the
stock 1.7L, mated to a 5-speed manual. The shift bushings need work, just
like my other Scirocco, but oh well. The color is a repaint, it's a robin's
egg blue with spots where the paint has been eaten through partially, the
original was a metallic darker green, that's what the interior is. It's an AZ
car, has been for a while now. The oil looked like it was needing a change,
but not as bad as my daily driver after 3k miles, filter was relatively new
with an even grime coat. Fuel filter wasn't too old. The timing plug on the
tranny was gone, same with my other car.

I looked more carefully and still didn't see any rust, except surface rust
all over the engine's oil pan. The rest is clean. The car has a wierd pattern
wheel, not the same as my other Scirocco. The guy said they're factory
magnesium wheels, I don't know from what. They looked like they had turbine
blades near the outer rim. They were painted black, probably not stock. It
drives fine, engine sounds good and starts right up, clutch feels pretty
fresh. The shocks will need replacing, the springs are Eibach, some sort of
progressive wind, I forget the part number I saw on the rears. The front
wheel bearings and CVs are brand new, the strut bearings are not. Interior
was very clean, no spare tire. Body straight with a few dents. It needs a new
windshield (like my other car, funny how that works).

The car is in Tempe, Arizona, I went ahead and talked to the guy, and put a
$200 deposit on it. Final price is $725, I'll pick it up by Sat.

:D
Sam