Re: winter/ warming up/Scirocco

DISCLAIMER:  I am not an expert and I am not responsible for damages, expenses incurred if anyone takes my post as pure fact.  It is just something I heard many years ago and have not personally confirmed nor done research to confirm.

There, that should satisfy the requirements.

Now then, a long time ago I was either told this or read it in one of my VW manuals.  The reason why VW says to drive a cold car immediately was to prevent an overly rich mixture (such as during start and warmup) from "accumulating" in the catalytic converter and causing a decreased life expectancy of said converter.

I personally would rather replace the cat than drive on a cold engine.  Aside from the fact that it usually stumbles a bit, I don't like the idea of the oil being so cold (especially in the turbo car).

Take it at face value, I guess.  Of course VW DOES recommend driving SLOWLY until the temp needle starts to move.

Tom in Tucson
www.area-53.com