Urgent help IDing a motor

Hey, I found a local 1981 Scirocco for sale, checked fenders and underbody,
straight body, no rust, for what should be a very nice price.

My questions are:
    Was light blue a stock 1981 color?
    Are there known problems with the 1978-81 MK1 that I should specifically
check?
    How do I identify what motor and transmission are in the car?

I have a 82 beater now, but this is in much better condition. It had front
Recaros, the Corrado ones I think, the impound guy says everything's in good
condition, new front suspension parts just installed by them - bushings,
bearings were just done by the shop. $750 sound like a good price?

Thanks!
Sam Lin