Re: Slipping out of gear - Redline

Hey, I didn't say redline was junk!!  Just not really necessary for everyday
driving or even street racing.  Redline IS a synthetic so it will have
problems with seals (no matter what) since it is much thinner than 80/90 or
whatever stock oil is.  I just cannot justify spending $20 filling my
transaxle with oil that has a higher tendancy to leak.  Besides, if you have
shifting problems this is NOT a cure, only gets you by a while until your
sychros totally shatter!!  Believe me, I know!!  I'm not saying not to use
it, just that it isn't NECESSARY!!  Just like the silicone brake fluid that
everyone is flipping over.  It is NOT for everyday driving, pretty much
racing only!!  Reason why?  Silicone based brake fluid attracts moisture
even more than regular brake fluid causing corrosion/rusting in the brake
system.  If you are using this brake fluid, be prepared to change it out
every three months or so and maybe even more depending on where you live.
What do I have to back this up?   I have done SOME research on it and have
also heard first hand from two friends who autocross and have used it and
changed back to Dot4.  Which just goes to show that just because the racers
use it, doesn't mean you have to!!  Look at all the Honduhs out there and
you get a idea where I am coming from!!  KISS!!!  (Keep It Simple Stupid)
and to add to that, Keep It Cheap!!  If you want a race car, build one but
it isn't always a good idea to treat your everyday car like a race car
because it ain't!!!

Redline is good, Very good, I just will not use it in my everyday driver.
There is nothing wrong with running the 80/90 in an everyday driver.  Just
my opinion!

Dave