NON Scirocco, Stupid Jetta Question

My 1992 Jetta seems to have the same problem many other VW's of the same
era with back doors have. The rear passenger side door will not open. I
cannot get it open from the inside or out no matter how many times I cycle
the door lock. I have even hockey checked the door from the inside while
holding both the lock and the handle at the same time to try to get it to
budge. Nothing. Is there some trick or something that will get this thing
open or should I just consider it a non-entry/exit point of the car? If its
any help when I pull the lock up it doesn't seem to go up as far as the
other do. Perhaps something screwy with the lock mechanism/the box on the
back of the door? Any help is appreciated and as always sorry about the
non-Scirocco content, but that thing doesn't seem to break like the Jetta
does. Stupid sedans :).

Chris