Re: Importing VW's to North American WAS-->>RE: Scirocco on Ebay

>This brings up an interesting idea :^D

>Would it be possible to ship a car to the states from Europe if it was to
>never be registered or driven on the street here in the USA?
I don't think you could get it through customs.  But, I have heard that you can import car parts without much hassle.  A car without an engine is considered a car part.  Another box with an engine in it is considered a car part.  I heard of someone who did this frequently.  At first he could just put the engine in the trunk of the car and get it through customs.  After they caught on he had to ship the engine seperately (usually in the trunk of a DIFFERENT car!)

I talked to a German co-worker who confirmed what has been said here recently about old cars in Germany.  He said he had a BMW that was going to be taxed a lot because it didn't have a cat.  He sold it to a guy who was in the business of buying older German cars for next to nothing and exporting them to Lybia.  Let the search for '74 Sciroccos in North Africa begin!!  (I still think a lot of them end up in eastern europe)

Bill