Re: scirocco-L-digest V1 #1954

RE:  Entrapment/Stupid Cop Tricks

The big problem is that once you have been stopped/issued a citation is
kinda a moot point about legality, unless you've got lots of
time/money/quixotic bent.  Indiana has unmarked police cars; brother
found out the hard way driving my silver 87 16V on turnpike.  Was going
about 5-10 over limit in left lane, trying it pass a family sedan in
right lane.  F body (camaro/trans am) comes up fast and hugged his bumper.
Brother speeds up to complete pass, cop pulls us over and issue big
ticket and gleefully describes how he knew we had radar detector.  Unless
I had AAA card, we would have been SOL and had to go to local/joke
courthouse.  As it was, had business appt. that I had to drive
aggressively through Chicago rush hour to make.  Unmarked car=bad IMO.

Only good thing about Ohio highway laws is that completely unmarked are
illegal for traffic stops without some kind of flashing light.  But some
municipalities that gather disproportionate share of their revenue from
traffic tickets (NOT ensuring safety-if you are resident-you may get off
with warning) skirt that with Mustang with small interior blue lights.
AND, P. Bureau note on your Texas odyssey that contrary to Duane yeagley's
Columbus area, Ohio cops do NOT have to have lights on after dark,
although it would seem common sense SAFETY requirement.

While on govt rant, if you can keep multiple autos without hassle count
yourself lucky.  Ohio requires insurance or big hassle paperwork on all
autos, even RVs that never move.  They enforce partly through nice big
brother move of private contractor who sends out letters to 20% of
vehicles/year to prove insurance.

RE:  Quaiffe/Group Buy

Not to discourage group buy, but AutoTech has 20% off now through
December something.  Might be wash on price.

RE:  Will these springs be OK thread?

I'm too lazy to do this, but maybe an anology to the VW transmission spec
page might be warranted here.  If you can accurately measure the wire
diameter, you can calculate spring rate change (it diam**4).  Given #
coils, and coil diameter, you can estimate spring rate.
Then given the autos weight distribution and spring mount position,
determine if the spring is what you seek.
The formula is readily available, I can at least post this.  Then, after
consulting this reference, you may not need to query list?

 -- Brian D./OH
How can you be in two places at once when you're not anywhere at all...
Firesign Theatre