FW: Own Work and Update on my 88 16v

-----Original Message-----
From: Warren Price [mailto:wrp2@uakron.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2001 4:59 PM
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Own Work and Update on my 88 16v

I probably do 60-70% of my own work.  Anything I can do, I do.

I also wanted to thank everyone who responded to my post a couple weeks
back.  I finally found some time to work on the car last night.  I replaced
the radiator fan switch, the themostat, and flushed the system.  The car
runs a hell of a lot cooler...the needle is right in the middle.  This may
have solved my oil pressure problem below 2000 r.p.m.  Granted I've got
crappy oil in the car, but the oil temp is now around 110 instead of 120 or
even 130.  I drive 2 hours every day.  No overheating and no oil pressure
light at all.  Though, the fan is still not coming on.  The only way the fan
will come on is if the climate control is in defrost mode.  Can't figure
that one out.

I also drained the power steering system and took the belt of the pump.  The
car was steering like a Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham.  I think it's likely
that I need a new steering rack.  The power steering fluid smelled pretty
toasty.  I theorized that the pump might be putting out too much pressure.
I will probably try to grab another pump and try it first even though I
think its probably the rack.  Either way, the manual steering is working our
just fine for right now.  Imagine being able to steer your Scirocco with
your pinky finger.  That's how bad it was.  Strange.

Warren Price