Re: Logo Infringement

Don't be sorry, you spoke your piece, didn't attack anyone on the list and
made a bunch of sense!!  While reading your post I was curious about the
rules of copyrighted items and if it is as was mentioned earlier in this
thread than VW would risk losing the VW symbol (which is an international
icon!!) and having to pay someone else to use it or change it all together
(which could be good, who knows!!).  Other than that, right on!!  All makes
sense to me and I have faith that your letter to VW will be using similar
manners so they should recognize your professionalism and respond
professionally!!  That is interesting though how the bigger a Co. gets it
seems the less "people serving" they become.

Dave

> Having thought about this logo infringment situation over night, I have
come
> to the same conclusion I did when I fired off my first e-mail moments
after
> I learned of the e-mail from VWoA to Dirk.  Clearly, intellectual property
> is valuable and should be protected.  There is no reason to exepect
> Volkwagen to ignore copyright infringements.  On the other hand, there is
> very little reason to believe that use of the VW logo, by a VW enthusiast,
> on his personal website (in Germany) sets into motion a domino effect that
> threatens all trademarked and copyrighted material everywhere.  One could
> argue that if VW allows one site to infringe, then everyone can infringe.
> One could argue that this type of infringment, though minor, would eat
away
> at the very foundation of intellectual property law, if left unchecked.
One
> could argue that VW can't possibly police all of the personal websites,
> e-mail lists or written materials produced by enthusiasts across the globe
> to insure these materials are a positive reflection of VW's trademark.
The