From: owner-scirocco-l@scirocco.org
[mailto:owner-scirocco-l@scirocco.org]On Behalf Of Cory Langford
Sent: Friday, November 16, 2001 11:01 AM
To: Scirocco Listserv
Subject: HELP - Radiator Fan croaks..

Well I have the stranged problem and I am hoping someone can give me
some advice (besides shoot the car)

My problem is the old '82 beater (which I still need for the rest of the
winter) is literally eating radiator fans.  I just lost the 4th fan this
morning on the way to work (luckly enough the last fan I put in was a
dual speed, so I swapped from lowspeed to the highspeed cct and it works
again - for a while).

I can't have that much back luck to go through 4 fans in anout as many
months.

The car has the stock 1.7 engine in it.  The thermo switch works fine,
goes on when it needs to stays on when engine is off, and goes off when
cool.  The cooling system runs right dead center on the little light all
the time (until the fan dies).  So while the fans work, everything is
great.  But one day they make a little "clunking" noise and then they
quit.

When I pull them they all seem to have the same problem. When you try to
turn the fans by hand they are very stiff (hard to turn) and they sound
like they are grinding inside.  I assume the bearings in the fan are
getting cooked and then the windings end up burning out when the fan
takes too much toque to turn.

Question is:  Anyone know what can consistatnly cook an electric
radiator fan bearing?  Or any other suggetsions?

I am running out of rad fans. Only one left in the garage so I would
like to have that one last until spring atleast :)

--
Cory Langford
'86 2L Oettinger Turbo Project