From: Allyn [mailto:amalventano1@home.com]
Sent: Friday, November 16, 2001 11:17 AM
To: Brian Wagner; scirocco list
Subject: Re: Twin 16v Motor pics and site

Brian,
    The master clinder works on a slightly different principal. It deals
with an increase in pressure moreso than actually moving the caliper
pistons. In this case, the calipers are moving only about 1/16th of an inch.
The design is only meant to raise pressure on the caliper pistons, and
therefore force on the brake pads. There would be exactly the same pressure
on both pistons of the front/rear diagonal pair. If one caliper was jammed,
it wouldnt move, but would still have the same pressure (fluid) applied to
it, where the non-jammed caliper of the pair would be the only one doing the
braking.
    This same situation compared to a clutch setup, where one pressure plate
may have slightly stronger springs compared with the other, more fluid would
flow to the slave on the 'easier' tranny, causing it to disengage before the
other.
    Also as you mentioned about the bore: yes, you would need 2x area of
bore surface in the master to get full travel on both clutches, yet this
creates another problem: you are now effectively hitting 2 clutches at once,
therefore the force you need to push clutch the pedal to the floor is now 2x
(that would suck in traffic, heh).
Al

Allyn Malventano, ETC(SS), USN
87 Rieger GTO Scirocco 16v (daily driver, 170k, rocco #6) running - for now
87 Jetta 8v Wolfsburg 2dr (daily driver, 260k, 0 rattles, original clutch,
driveshafts, wheels :)