From: owner-scirocco-l@scirocco.org
[mailto:owner-scirocco-l@scirocco.org]On Behalf Of Brian Haygood
Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2001 11:19 PM
To: Scirocco-l
Subject: Attn. Optima Users

Has anyone else had trouble getting a battery hooked up in their 16v?  I had
a big battery in there that fit fine, but my new, smaller Champion Vortex
spiralcell 75 series battery has the terminals near the front of the car
instead of the back, so the wires don't reach it!  What's up with that?  No,
I don't have it in bassackwards, and I checked Optima's site - the battery I
got isn't reversed polarity or anything.  I was planning on changing the
wiring, so its only a giant pain I don't want to deal with right now.

The main problem is that it isn't held firmly in the little hold down
braket - the battery is too narrow.   Very annoying!  I guess I'll have to
try this one in the Passat until I can get it in the back of the 'Roc or
something.  The battery is a Champion Vortex, which is made by Exide.  It's
"just like" an Optima.  I got it really cheap because it has a nasty looking
chip out of an insignificant plastic flange and I know the manager at the
store.

So, Optima users - are my troubles caused by a bastard sized crappy battery,
or do Optimas not fit in our holders quite right, either?

-Brian