Re: Por 15

On Thu, 15 Nov 2001 09:33:58 -0500 "Calimus" <calimus@techography.net>
writes:
> Last saturday, our local VW club had a meeting and we had a guest
> speaker talk about Por 15.  He brought some samples of metal coated
with it
> and I must say it looks like it does it's job well.  For those that
don't
> know about it, it's an anti-rust coating (usefull stuff for you guy's
up
> north) that can be painted on with a regular brush or can even be
sprayed
> with a low pressure high volume paint sprayer.
>
> My question really is, is there anyone on the list thats had actual
> experiance with it?  If so, how did it work out and is it as good as
> they say it is?  I've got a 71 Ghia that would need to be dipped in
this
> stuff if it works.  Not to mention I have a few rust spots on my 88
rocco
> since it was originaly a northern car.
>
> William Snyder
>
> 88 scirocco 16v

POR-15 works great, as long as you remove all the loose rust.
Some people say that you can brush it on over rust, light surface rust,
maybe, but don't believe them.

When I first got my euro bumpers, I tried putting it on before I removed
all the rust, (my sandblaster was clogging).
It looked ok at first, but then as it cured and attached to the rust, it
separated from the rest of the rust and flaked off.

I re-did them, and now it's holding up great...

Peter - <http://thescirocco.com> - Discount Techtonics, Peloquin LSD,
Autotech-Quaife USA, Ronal USA, Motorworks, & Magnecor Dealer -  Bear, DE
19701
'79 Scirocco 16V 25 049
'83 GTI 37 505
'84.5 Scirocco 42 133
'84 GTI 63 348  - SciRollers: '79 70 900, '84 Black, '88 Red -
Thanksgiving TT Stainless Special - 10% off & $10 shipping