FN vs. 4K?

I'm getting very close to doing an engine swap in my '82 (replacing the EN
with my JH), and I need some feedback on which tranny to use.  I have the FN
currently in my '82 (3.89 final, 3.45, 1.94, 1.29, .91, .71, according to
Scirocco.org), and its only problem seems to be a worn synchro for 3rd.
Last night I pulled the 4K off of my JH and found that the pushrod seal is
shot - I can wiggle the pushrod significantly within the input shaft.  Gear
ratios for the 4K are 3.94 final, 3.45, 2.12, 1.44, 1.13, .89.  The 4K
grinds into 2, 3, and 4, and tends to jump out of reverse if I go too fast.
I drove it for only a short time before I decided the car was beyond hope
and found my '82.

I don't have any funds to put into this (I'm even keeping the stock
single-outlet manifold, after I searched high and low for a dual and finally
found one here in town that I could get) and I need the car only to get me
through until the spring, at which time I should be able to either spend
some money on it or sell it and get one in better shape.  Incidentally, I
love the car, and it's been very good to me, requiring very little time or
money over about 18 months that I've owned it.

Considering the comparatively high output of the JH, would I be happy
keeping the FN tranny, or would I be likely to be badly disappointed?

The biggest reasons for the swap, BTW, are that the JH is just sitting here
and is in great shape, I need to replace the rear trans mount studs with
bolts because they are stripped, and I need to drill the two additional
mounting holes for my lower stress bar.  Apart from that, it's a good excuse
to replace tired motor mounts.

All opinions are welcome, but remember, I (or my wife) don't want to sink
cash into rebuilding the 4K if the car will be significantly better than it
currently is by keeping the FN.

TIA...
Aaron
'87 528e