door rattle question

hello list, just wondering if any mk2 folks have had problems with their
drivers side door moving around(enough to make an audible "thud") over
bumps.My car has a small dent from the PO on said door, but opens and closes
the same as the passenger side i.e. just fine, yet seems to not want to stay
half open or fully open .(a function of the strap right?).I'm wondering if
replacing the "post" in the door jamb and the little plastic ring around it
would fix the movement , (ive cleaned and lubed the latch BTW) and  a new
"strap" would hold it open better.Sorry this is so long, thank you ,Robert