Re: Tie rod Q?

--- Ken <mcfly67@qwest.net> wrote:
> List:
> With all this room in the engine bay I decided to
> clean/replace some hard to
> get at parts.  Booster/MC Steering rack etc.  one of
> the boots covering the
> middle area between the rack and the outer end of
> the tie rod was split for
> who knows how long so I replaced them both.
> Tierods/outer ends and boots.
> Problem:  The new outer ends do not have a hole in
> the shaft that goes
> through the (knuckle?) wheel bering housing.  Also
> the nut provided for this
> end is not castleated, (why would it have to be if
> there is nowhere to put a
> cotter pin through it anyway.)  Should I just
> tighten it down like normal,
> use the correct castelated nuts from the parts car
> and custom drill through
> the tie rod end for the new cotter pin?  Did I get
> the wrong part?  Did they
> switch to a standard nut here between 1986 and now.
> Any clues out there?
> Thanks
> Ken Bates
> 1979 Scirocco
> In the middle of the 16v conversion

All the new tie rod ends (OEM supplier) I install on
my cars come with locking nuts (not like the
original). No need for cotter pins, just bolt it up to
spec torgue and you're good . . .

=====
Mark Peele
1985 Scirocco, 1982 Scirocco, 1981 Scirocco, 1978 Scirocco, 1987 Golf GT
http://www.scirocco2.de/mark.htm
Direct Mail: SCIROCCO_GTX@YAHOO.COM
Need parts? try http://www.parts4vws.com/ (Potterman)
or http://www.germanautoparts.com/ (Adirondack)