Tie rod Q?

List:
With all this room in the engine bay I decided to clean/replace some hard to
get at parts.  Booster/MC Steering rack etc.  one of the boots covering the
middle area between the rack and the outer end of the tie rod was split for
who knows how long so I replaced them both.  Tierods/outer ends and boots.
Problem:  The new outer ends do not have a hole in the shaft that goes
through the (knuckle?) wheel bering housing.  Also the nut provided for this
end is not castleated, (why would it have to be if there is nowhere to put a
cotter pin through it anyway.)  Should I just tighten it down like normal,
use the correct castelated nuts from the parts car and custom drill through
the tie rod end for the new cotter pin?  Did I get the wrong part?  Did they
switch to a standard nut here between 1986 and now.  Any clues out there?
Thanks
Ken Bates
1979 Scirocco
In the middle of the 16v conversion