Re: Proportioning Valves/ Brake Questions

Woops, way off center here. There are four outlets on our master cylinders
indeed. One piston with two chambers so that if a catastrophic failure were
to happen you could still stop. The problem with your assumption is that one
front and the opposite rear are on each chamber. This is to give the system
balance in the case of failure of one of the systems. You would still be
able to stop in a reasonably straight line. Now consider if you had the
fronts on one chamber and the rears on the other. If you broke a line at the
rear and lost all of your fluid you would be stopping on only the fronts
which will simply slide in a panic situation (longer stopping distance). Now
consider a break in the front hose, you would be stopping on the rears
only(a very considerable increase in stopping distance). Also consider that
brake lines fail only when you need them the most, a panic stop. You might
not have a problem as you would know what was going on, but suppose you had
lent the car to your Mother.

Adding flexible lines to a system would increase the mushy feeling in the
pedal as those lines expanded under their 10 to 15 thousand pounds of
pressure. This is why car manufacturers use the shortest flexible lines
possible. In fact they would love to be able to produce brakes that did not
use flexible lines. Any time you can avoid using flexible lines will keep
your pedal nice and hard. By the way, this is also the reason stainless
steel lines are used, so that the inner part can be Teflon which resists all
that pressure better giving a firmer feeling pedal.

Keep considering this stuff though as it is the best way to learn.

Rick Alexander
http://www.brubakerbox.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/hams/
http://clubs.hemmings.com/vwsrus/