RE: Car alarms?

If what you are looking for is deterrent, then anything with blinking
LEDs on the doors will do just as well. The fact is that most people
pay no mind to car alarms, and most thieves know this, so the only
real deterrent factor is in those who are timid and trying to be
stealthy. As such, a couple of blinking LEDs will have the same
deterrence factor as any car alarm. I would suggest either getting
the cheapest car alarm with LEDs that you can, or just wiring up some
LEDs to flash when you lock your doors, so that people think you have
an alarm.

The goal is to overcome the deliberate nature of the process.