[tech] Timing - Automatic Tranny

First off, I hate automatic trannies....they suck royal ass cuz they're so
difficult to work with.

Regardless, I've been playing around with my brother's automatic Jetta and I
can't figure out where to flash the timing light.  Well, I know where to
shine it, I think, but I don't know what I'm looking for.  I already know
about the timing marks on the camshaft sprocket, the crankshaft sprocket as
well as TDC.....I'm just uncertain how to fine tune tha sucka!  The Bentley
is no help for the auto trannies.  Auto trannies suck!!!!

Incidentally, the car lacks acceleration.  I have been told by the Bible
(the Bentley of course) as well as a coupla mechs that the lack of
acceleration is a timing issue.  Is this correct?  I just wanna get this VW
on the road....

TIA

Sal
81 Scirocco 16V