SDS/Haltech

I've known a small number of people who have used both SDS and Haltech
systems, and they have ended up sticking with Haltech.  There are other
brands too, like TecII, which I have no experience with (I've only used
Haltech).  Supposedly TecII is the best choice if you want to run a turbo
with it, but I'm not clear on why, nor what differences there are between
them.  Haltech is a big cheaper I think.

Take home message is that all of them seem to work.  SDS has its funky
interface through a module witha tiny display screen.  That's the main
disadvantage there.   For the other systems, all of which use PC's, you can
use a desktop, or if you want to pick up an obsolete laptop that will work,
too.  The "power" you need in a computer to run this stuff is minimal, to
say the least.

No, you don't have to have a dyno.  At school we don't use a dyno until the
very last stage of tuning, and we usually pick up about 1hp in that fine
tuning stage.  A good air/fuel meter is worth its price in tuning.  Learn
the basics of things like tuning by spark plugs (looking for the right color
on their ends), and learning what too much advance and too little advance
sound like are the only technical points.  Other than that its just figuring
out under what conditions the fuel mixture meter shows you something you
don't want to see.

I noticed the turbo listed in your signature.  If you look into the Tec II
and find out how they are different, let us all know.

A good web group to be on is found at www.diyefi.com (do-it-yourself EFI).
Those guys probably have all the info you could want about which systems are
the best.

Distributorless ignitions:
   I am pretty sure this is a good area to look for improvements on our
cars.  Ditching our leaky distributors is tempting, too.  I've only used the
MSD MC-4 digital motorcycle engine ignition.  It has 2 coil packs, so it
uses a "wasted spark" method by firing them in pairs.  It's really easy to
work with and has lots of good information on the screen.  The Haltech's I
have used up until now are just EFI, not ignition.  This year my team is
going to try the Haltech E6k (ignition/EFI in one), so ask me in about April
and I'll tell you what I think of it.  That apparently has 4 separate coil
packs, so all of your spark energy is used productively.

Let me know what you find and what you decide to use.

Sincerely;
Brian Haygood