Calculating displacement / was: stroker cranks

Ahhhh..
Thanks to Dan and Ron I think I finally got it. :)
The key was the radius and diameter.
It makes sense now.
Raven's book is using the diameter and your equation uses the radius.
I suddenly felt a stinging sensation on the side of my
head....Ouuuch...there it is again.....
He he, just wait till I get my 2117cc built and I'll spank ya at Dauns
someday ;^)

Randy
(just wishing he paid more attention in Home Economics class)

> --- Randy B <sirocco@telocity.com> wrote:
> > > (bore/2)^2 * pi * stroke * (# of cyls) / 1000
> >
> > Why do you divide the bore by 2 and then square it, I don't follow
> > the logic
> > even though the answer is correct?
>
> To find volume of a cylinder you multiply its cross sectional area (
> area of the bore) by the height (stroke).
>
> The area of any circle is pi*radius^2.  Bore/2=radius.  So, you divide
> the bore by 2 for use in this equation.
>
> > Would this equation work on other than 4cyl engines?
>
> (dope slap) Yes, see where it says "(# of cyls)"?  You'd put the number
> of cylinders there.  For a 4-cylinder, that would be "4".
>
> Caught you napping, huh?  ;P  Sorry to be such a smartass, but all in
> good fun...right?
>
> > Randy
> > (wish i'd paid more attention during my algebra classes)
>
> (dope slap #2) You slept through geometry too!  They didn't teach this
> in Algebra!  Somebody stop me...Randy's gonna slap me if we ever
> meet...
>
> (ducking)
> Ron

Dan Wrote:
Area of a circle is; pi x r^2 or pi x d^2/4
volume of one cylinder is pi x r^2 x Stroke
Volume of the engine is pi x r^2 x Stroke x # of cyl.
or if you want to do diameter instead of radius:
pi x D^2/4 x stroke x # of cyl.