RE: Engine stops at random times...

Well, to be honest, not much.  Most of the time it works fine.  If it was
debris in the line I might expect it to be worse when fuel demand is
highest, but it isn't.  There's also no correlation with damp, temperature,
engine load, rpm, residual fuel level (in the tank) or anything except that
it usually (but not always) happens in the first few minutes.  Usually if it
stops it does so only once, other times several times over 10 or 20 miles.

The distributor is not at all above suspicion, and in view of Dan's (Larry
the Crime Donkey - huh?) suggestion, it will be my next port of call.

Thanks,
Chris