RE: Oil Light

Wait a minute....what was the last year of the MkI (in the USA)?

Larry  sandiego16V

-----Original Message-----
From: Andy Holmes [mailto:sciroccoinj@yahoo.co.uk]
Sent: Tuesday, November 06, 2001 1:34 AM
To: Allyn; Jason VW; scirocco-L@scirocco.org; '84 Scirocco; Patrick
Bureau; Craig Williams
Subject: Re: Oil Light

Reading all of this is very interesting as my 83 (MK1)
Jetta GL (1588) had the old intermittant oil light.
I checked and changed everthing and it would still not
go away.

In the end i dropped a 2.1 and the only original parts
under the bonnet are the battery and the battery to
starter wiring. I also replaced (just in case) the
entire wirng from pressure sender to cluster.

So when i started up the new 2.1 the first time all
was fine, no flashing oil light. Fantastic.

2 miles down the road and its flashing away quite
happily. Nothing wrong with this engine (it has good
everything) so maybe just this once it might not be
low oil level (Hey it even flashes sitting stationery
outside my house at idle)

I think its something in the cluster that is causing
it but as yet i havent bothered to fix it

Andy

 --- Allyn <amalventano1@home.com> wrote: > jason,
> you are starving your motor of oil in hard turns!
> read the post from Craig
> Williams. my first scirocco did that and it resulted
> in loss of compression
> on a 1500 mile road trip. oil level was perfect. it
> was due to a dented in
> oil pan, which in turn bent the pickup upward
> slightly. if it only does it
> in hard turns, its probably not an electrical
> problem. the dynamic oil
> pressure curcuit has a debouncing/filtering input,
> that means if the light
> comes on and buzzes, you've already been below
> minimum allowed pressure for
> 2 seconds. Not only that, the pressure setting is
> set for minimum oil
> pressure at 2000 rpm, you're probably higher than
> that in your turns.
> slightly overfill your oil and see if it still does
> it. it doesnt take much
> to starve the oil suction, especially if its bent.
> Heck, 'full' to 'add' is
> only like 1/2" on the dipstick.
> Al
>
> Allyn Malventano, ETC(SS), USN
> 87 Rieger GTO Scirocco 16v (daily driver, 170k,
> rocco #6) running - for now
> 87 Jetta 8v Wolfsburg 2dr (daily driver, 260k, 0
> rattles, original clutch,
> driveshafts, wheels :)

=====
Andy Holmes

91 Scirocco Scala Inj
83 Jetta 2.1

[Disclaimer]This e-mail is strictly confidential and intended solely for the
addressee. It may contain information which is covered by legal,
professional, or other privilege. If you are not the intended addressee you
must not use, disclose, or copy this transmission. This E-mail is not
intended to impose nor shall it be construed as imposing any legally binding
obligation upon GKN Aerospace Chem-tronics Inc. and/or any of its
subsidiaries or associated companies. Neither GKN Aerospace Chem-tronics
Inc. nor any of its subsidiaries or associated companies gives any
representation or warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the
contents of this E-mail. GKN Aerospace Chem-tronics Inc. shall not be held
liable to any person resulting from the use of any information contained in
this E-mail and shall not be liable to any person who acts or omits to do
anything in reliance upon it.