Re: Do I still need a CAT? Cali car in NON-Cali state

Andre Bjorkheim wrote:

> A buddy of mine (Keith Wilkes) has a 1980 Scirocco (California model)
> car whilst living in South Carolina & he's wondering if he can remove
> the CAT.  Apparently in 1980 no S.C. cars had catalytic converters ..<snip>

SOME cars may not have had cat's in '80, but they were mandatory on almost
all cars sold in the US starting in 1975.  A few were able to pass without
one.. early Hondas among them.. but most everything else got them.

Only way to know for sure is to check current SC vehicle code and see if
yanking it is legal.  If indeed the non-California cars of the era never
had a cat in the first place, one would think it would be OK to not have
one today..

--
Kevin Collins
Huntington Beach, CA