Re: tranny building tools

Hmmm...

The flange compressor can be substited with, among other things, a
steering wheel puller.  But this is a cheap tool for you to either make
or buy.

You *will* need circlip pliers, period.

The case separator...I used a piece of old angle iron, drilling,
tapping, and grinding as required.  Use the tranny case bolts to hold
it to the gearbox case, a bolt pressed on the mainshaft (or was it
pinion shaft? Let Bentley tell you) via a hole I tapped.  Not perfect,
but it works fine.

The 1st/2nd gear gear puller...go to Home Depot (like Ben and I did)
and get some mild steel flat bar.  You can then fashion some extension
arms for your gear puller to form "The Cheapass Puller for VW Trannies"
(as seen at http://w3.one.net/~rapieper/longpuller.jpg).  You will need
a two-jaw puller, three-jaws won't work.

If you are going to re-do pinion shaft and diff bearings, a gas grill
is absolutely wonderful.  Put the case half in for about 5 mins at 400*
or so, and the bearing races literally drop out (and in).  They'll
probably be sitting on the grate when you go to retrieve the case.

Outside of the obvious (including zip-loc bags and a sharpie, plus a
big table), that's all I can think of for now...Good luck, it's fun.

--- UrGTI@aol.com wrote:
> I have 2 broken 4ks here and am out of spares so its time to learn
> how to
> rebuild these. Anyone on here build there own? I have several Bently
> manuals
> and see they mention special tools. What are the alternatives to
> buying the
> dealer tools assuming you could even get them?
>
> Jasin
> testing his AOL with this post

=====
Ron (Cheapass)
'87 16V, ("Victor"), '93 Cabby ("Teufelhasen")
ICQ 108845455

Stupid is as stupid does.
-F. Gump