Re: My new exhaust!

L.M.Loyd wrote:

> Getting under the car today, I see that you are absolutely right
> about the downpipe being about 1" too long. The problem is that I
> can't get the midpipe and downpipe separated! Any tips on getting
> these two separated? The clamps were not tightened down enough to
> dent the outer pipe, so they are not crimped together or anything,
> they are just really snug, and I can't get them to come apart.

I had to do this on an Autotech system a few years ago.
Managed to get it off and re-install it on my current "Mars".
It is a TOTAL PIA but can be done.
On my exhaust (only on the previous car for about 3 yrs) the clamps had
actually crimped the pipe a little. :(

What I did was:
1. Loosen and remove the clamps.
2. Soak, and then soak, and then soak...the connections with penatrating oil
and WD-40.
(try part 4 first using pipe wrenches to twist the sections if they wont
budge go to part 3.)
3. Hammer screwdrivers under the female side of the pipes on three sides as
far as you can without distorting the pipe too much.
4. Attempt (using pipe wrenches) to twist the two sections inside each
other.
5. Keep twisting back and forth until the two sections will separate (while
hammering, kicking, and prying the two apart)

HTH
Randy