RE: Was lug bolts, now US vs. German engineering

LOL

I had a 1983 Fiat 127 1300GT - weighed nothing (mainly
ferrous oxide) never worked properly (electrics were
poor) but when it did it went like the clappers (75hp
in 750kg) but you had to leave in the Sun all day to
dry out before it would start!

I've had a whole series of Austins and Rovers - some
brilliant touchs - not built but thrown together -
always had good interiors so you had somewhere nice to
sit whilst waiting for recovery!

Andy

 --- Cheapass Ron <rapieper@yahoo.com> wrote: > AFA
British and Italian cars, from my website:

> 1964 Triumph TR4, my first car.  $350 and a tow
> home.  Bought from a
> "Reverend" who sorta ripped me off.  Replaced the
> rear main seal, and
> learned what bad design was.
> 1973 Fiat 128.  Shoebox.  Learned what good design
> was, followed by
> poor execution.
> 1965 Triumph TR4A.  Had to revisit the torture.
> Would like another,
> but it'd take too much time.  Rebuilt the engine.
> Bad design lesson
> reinforced.  These cars are fun...for masochists.
>
> Ron
>
> --- Andy Holmes <sciroccoinj@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> > Tell me about it - I've owned a few, and some
> Italian,
> > and some French, and some Spanish, and some
> German.
> > Never had an American car so no comment on their
> > quality. Could give you some insights on the above
> lot
> > though ;-)
> > Never had a Japanese car, or any of the budget
> Asian
> > or Eastern European makes.
> >
> > As a generalisation based on the cars i've owned.
> >
> > British - mechanically strong, poor ancillaries,
> poor
> > design, iffy build, poor rust resistance, good
> > interiors, generallly good road manners.
> >
> > Italian - Rust Rust Rust and bad electrics.
> > Mechanically superb
> >
> > French - Mechanically unburstable, superb road
> > manners, amazing suspension, very poor interiors,
> > cheap materials.
> >
> > Spanish - Good budget allrounders with no real
> weak
> > points. Stylish
> >
> > German - mechanically excellent, well made, good
> > materials, good rust prevention, expensive to run
> when
> > they  do break down, safe and sure.

=====
Andy Holmes