From: Andy Holmes [mailto:sciroccoinj@yahoo.co.uk]
Sent: Friday, November 02, 2001 7:52 AM
To: Cheapass Ron; Chris DeLong; Fry, Larry; rabbit16v@prodigy.net;
scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Re: Was lug bolts, now US vs. German engineering

I'm soo glad British cars arnt in this discussion.

Andy

 --- Cheapass Ron <rapieper@yahoo.com> wrote: > (big
breath)

> Wow, that's a loaded statement.  But this is a
> discussion group and
> this *is* discussion, after all...
>
> I both agree and disagree.  Certainly your statement
> holds true for
> BMW, Porsche, and Mercedes vs. The Big Three.  No
> argument there
> whatsoever.
>
> But we deal with Volkswagens.  These are
> mass-market, economy cars.
> Cheap cars, even.  Much as we love them, including
> me, let us recall
> what we deal with.
>
> We complain about shaky transmissions, A/C that
> never works, bad
> electrical systems, rattles, shakes, crappy shift
> linkages, cracking
> unibodies (front engine/tranny mount, a-arms, strut
> towers).  Failed
> heater motor resistors.  Cracked exhaust manifolds.
> Horribly
> underdesigned engine mounts (on the A1's...but has
> this truly been
> fixed yet?).  Odometers that often don't work after
> maybe 100,000
> miles.  Face it: these are NOT cars for those who
> aren't mechanically
> inclined, 13+ years old or not.  You want to do
> nothing to your car but
> change oil and tires and add gas?  Get a Toyota
> (yawwwnn).  Yes, the
> bottom ends of our engines are fantastic.  As are
> the FI systems, if
> you don't fuck with them.  But what about the
> incredible Chevy small
> block?  Their straight six?  The Turbohydramatic
> 350, or god forbid,
> the TH400?  Supremely good stuff.
>
> I've owned several American cars.  They have their
> pluses and minuses.
> My little '92 Saturn SL2 was the best car amongst
> the lot, hands down.
> In may ways it reminded me of a VW in its simplicity
> of design.  My
> S10, well, I bitched about it, but it ran and ran
> and ran.  As did our
> Explorer (yes, an SUV, we can argue that in a
> different thread).  Our
> Chylsler T&C minivan, well, sucks.
>
> My final analysis:  German engineering can be
> superb.  It can also be
> merely adequate, as is the case with our VW's.
> Frankly, the same goes
> for American auto engineering.  Both examples aim at
> a broad-market,
> "value" offering...neither is going to give you an
> overdesigned system.
>

> I'm sure we'll discuss this more...
>
> Ron
>

> --- Chris DeLong <green536@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > No offense Ron but comparing American car
> engineering to German
> > engineering
> > is like comparing steaming pile of shit to a
> freshly mowed lawn
> > (minus the
> > shit part) ;-)

=====
Andy Holmes

91 Scirocco Scala Inj
83 Jetta 2.1

Nokia Game is on again.
Go to http://uk.yahoo.com/nokiagame/ and join the new
all media adventure before November 3rd.

[Disclaimer]This e-mail is strictly confidential and intended solely for the
addressee. It may contain information which is covered by legal,
professional, or other privilege. If you are not the intended addressee you
must not use, disclose, or copy this transmission. This E-mail is not
intended to impose nor shall it be construed as imposing any legally binding
obligation upon GKN Aerospace Chem-tronics Inc. and/or any of its
subsidiaries or associated companies. Neither GKN Aerospace Chem-tronics
Inc. nor any of its subsidiaries or associated companies gives any
representation or warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the
contents of this E-mail. GKN Aerospace Chem-tronics Inc. shall not be held
liable to any person resulting from the use of any information contained in
this E-mail and shall not be liable to any person who acts or omits to do
anything in reliance upon it.