VDubb fun

Had a little fun with a Golf/GTI tonight out on I-75 here in Ga.  With it
being dark out I couldn't make out much on the car aside from a nice twin
tup exhaust and the side light mod.
    There were definitly some engine mods going though.  I got even with him
trying to get a good a good look at the side mod and his rims when my wife
who was riding with me told me he was motioning to race.  I figured, what
the hell.
    I started to gas the rocc, got far enough ahead of him to switch lanes
and be infront of him and kept on going.  We started out at an even 85mph
and at this point I was quiclky reaching past the 100 mark.  I was pulling
away from him real good, reached 110 and desided that was fast enough and
leved there while I checked my rearview.  He was still trailing a bit (5 - 7
car lengths) when all the sudden he started to close really fast.  Almost as
sudden as he started, he stopped and dropped to the slow lane and exited the
highway.

    My question here, is, from the looks of the car, it looked to be a late
80's maybe early 90's golf/gti, were they 8v's or 16v's?  Cause he seemed to
have a lot of low end tourqe but not too much high end untill that sudden
burst which made me think he might have been sporting a turbo.  Does this
sound like he might have been running an 8v w/turbo?
    Either way it was alot of fun to go against another VW instead of some
pathetic integra/prelude/accord or civic's that usually like to have a go at
me.  Though it definitly made my mind up that I must mod the rocc as it is
currently bone stock with 200k+ miles on it.

Just thought I'd share,

William Snyder

88' 16v rocco
89' 8v cabrio