Re: Military Service

I served in the Army for 3yrs active which included 2 1/2 yrs overseas in
Germany in an infantry unit (apparently the toughest type of unit at the
time) then continued my career in the National Guard for the rest of my
initial obligation of 8 years (so 5 more years in the Nat'l Guard).  I
learned in the first 3 years about myself, respect, discipline, etc. than
most people ever learn.  I earned $30K for college (which I think is up to
$50K + now).  I got out in 1/95 after completing my 8yrs, once that is done
you are untouchable when the country goes to war but I could see a good part
of prior service people volunteering just because of the obligation that is
felt after serving for any amount of time (it's a pride thing).  The
military isn't for everyone but I honestly do believe that anyone who can
pass the screening (physical and testing) should serve at least a year to
give them a good head start.  In other words, I believe that our country as
well as the individuals would benefit from serving in the military and
believe that we should have a mandatory 1 year stint for all young men (and
women? haven't thought about that before).  Imagine if Clinton served in the
military!!  Anyway, I served as a wheel vehicle and tank mechanic (very much
in need at all times) and learned some valuable things while training and
applying that knowledge, besides there were a LOT of great times and things
I would never have done if I didn't join (including driving tanks, 5ton
trucks, 2 1/2ton trucks, HMMVs, and jeeps and most I drove on the Autobahn!!
I was able to live in Germany (Aschaffenburg), vacation in London-England,
Brussels-Belgium, Amsterdam-The Netherlands, Paris-France, Munich (and all
over Germany), Barcelona-Spain, and Loret De Mar-Spain.  Went to a lot of
places in between and partied everywhere including about 40 festivals.  I
made friends that are like family and made Germany my second home.  Sure
there were some tough times but such is life.  I missed my family, friends,
etc. but I also matured and grew in a way that I wouldn't of been able to do
if I were not to have served.  There are exceptions, of course, but you can
usually tell if someone has served in the military by their actions and
their confidence/maturity (atleast I can tell).  As an example (and I am not
getting political here and I realize everyone has their problems) look at
our last three presidents.  Which one didn't serve and made a mochary of the
position and gutted the military?  Not to tough to figure out eh?  I know
the Bush's have their problems but you will not see in the Whitehouse the
shinanigans that Clinton pulled or bring such contraversy with them.  It
isn't a Democrat/Republican thing either, just Military/Non Military.  All
my opinion so delete if you want.  I guess if I had to do it all again I
might go for some flight school or something in the Air Force and make a
career out of it but when I went in (mid eighties) the competition was stiff
since there were no threats of war at the time and everyone one was
volunteering aiming at a career or college money.  In my opinion, if anyone
is planning on signing up, is to MAKE SURE what you learn in the military is
applicable when you get out (not much call for gunners or grunts in the real
world).  Or, stay for the long haul (career) and take classes while you are
in on an applicable subject (computer related?).  Also, get EVERYTHING you
can out of the military.  A lot of military training is good for college
credit also, you can also take college courses while you are in the
military.  If you go overseas, SIGHTSEE!!  Do everything you can, experience
everything!!  You may not ever go back again so do what you can now.  Of
course, be moral about the things you do but have FUN!!!  Things you don't
want to do are:  get discharged dishonorably (honorable discharge is helpful
sometimes), have your bedpost notched up from all the wives you've slept
with (know people who had this as a goal), get in trouble with the law
(polizeis are tough), turn into an alchoholic (not much benefit in that),
stay away from drugs (dishonorable discharge).  HTH in some way.  I could go
on and on so if anyone has specific questions, LMK.  I love to talk about it
since it was such a positive experience for me.

Dave