RE: Speeding is good? No I don't agree...

OK, I have to take issue with this, because though I don't know any
professional drivers or cops, I have had lots of friends who were
civil engineers, two of whom made their living surveying roads to
ascertain recommended speed limits. The first thing you have to
understand is that every road has two distinctly different speed
limits. The first is the recommended safe speed, and the second is
the posted speed limit. In a perfect world these two would be the
same, but for many reasons they rarely are.

The recommended safe speed, is the speed at which any inspected
vehicle, driven by any licensed driver, should be able to travel down
the given road in any normal lighting or weather condition safely.
For safety reasons this speed assumes a poorly maintained, but still
legally inspectable, vehicle and a poor driver, who still falls
within the limits of the state licensing board. These speed
recommendations are made based on a survey of the average speed of
traffic flow, accident history on the given road, and the engineers
assessment of the drivability and condition of the road. These
recommended speeds must be reviewed every five years. All state roads
(at least in Texas and California which are the only two states I am
familiar with) must fall under certain guidelines to qualify for
their various qualifications, for example, any state highway must
have a recommended safe speed of 80mph, else it is slated for
renovation or decommission.

The posted speed limit, on the other hand, is a number with no rule
other than that it must not exceed the recommended safe speed. Posted
speed limits are set for any number of reasons. Many of these reasons
make perfect sense such as lowering speeds for school zones or
because a city planner wants to promote better traffic flow. However,
many posted speed limits are set for the most spurious of reasons,
for example speed traps, or because an untrained neighborhood
association "feels" that traffic moves too fast down their street. In
fact, any property owner can petition to have the speed limit lowered
along a given street for any reason, and if they can get enough other
property owners to agree with them, then the city council has the
obligation to conceder the request. Some of the more ridiculous
reasons I have seen for approved low posted speed limits include
merchants petitioning to lower the posted speed limits so passers-by
had more time to notice their establishments, and neighborhoods in
the heart of a metropolitan area lowering the posted speed limit to
discourage people from using their neighborhood roads as a shortcut.
Then of course we are all familiar with those areas in which the
local city council has lowered the speed limit on a given high
traffic road, simply to increase the income from moving violations.

What this all boils down to, is that an officer can give you a ticket
for speeding any time you are going over the posted speed limit, but
to prove reckless endangerment, he must prove you were going well in
excess of the recommended safe speed.

What is my point in all of this? Well, simply put just because you
are traveling over the posted speed limit does not mean you are
traveling at an unsafe speed. I, for example, am a fairly competent
driver with better than average reaction time, and a vehicle that
responds better than the minimum required by law. This does not mean
that I can safely travel at 100mph in a zone posted at 30mph, but it
also does not mean that I am constituting a hazard going 40mph. In
fact, if the posted speed limit has not been changed from the
recommended safe speed, then on a clear day in a good car with a
competent driver there should be no hazard involved with traveling at
50mph on a road posted at 30mph. In the city I live in, you could not
even make a reckless endangerment charge stick unless you could prove
the driver was doing at least 35mph over the recommended safe speed.
On a Texas highway that would mean that you would have to be doing at
least 115mph to constitute reckless endangerment, since all Texas
highways should have a recommended safe speed of 80mph.

The goal is to overcome the deliberate nature of the process.