cleaning an o2 sensor?

ok, so i'm replacing my catalytic converter (with a universal that needs
some welding, we'll see how this works out), and my o2 sensor had some
pretty good carbon build up on it. about 2 months ago i did the timing,
mixture, and checked the o2 sensor voltage; everything looked ok (maybe even
running a little lean).  i think that i probably fouled the sensor last
summer when i put too much oil in, and it blew past the pistons, creating a
james bond-like smokescreen behind me (doh!). but like i said, it checked
out 2 months ago when i tested it. i know, i know, i should replace it
anyway, but i'm super busy and don't feel like doing the whole solder/shrink
rap thing w/ a new universal sensor. so should i leave it as is? or can i
try some brake cleaner or something to clean it off? i can't really test it
again till i put the exhaust back on the car, and by that point... tia,
-michael
88 16v rocco