Re: Mount an 8v GTI in an Scirocco mk1 GT 8v

>From: "Daniel Larsson" <larsson@passagen.se>

>I need some info on how i must modify the elecrical system to get the
> >8v1,6lGTI engine to work.
>Its just an regular 8v1,6l engine in it now.
>Aney help would be super..

Hmm, well We didn't get the 1,6l GTi motor here, so I don't know what system
it used. Most likely it used Bosch CIS-basic as an injection system, right?
No oxygen sensor.

What about your 77 GT, was that fuel injected or carbed? If it was fuel
injected, I'd think the system was identical to the GTi and you should be
able to use the one in your car.  If it was carbed then you're in for a
treat....:-)

Either way, the CIS basic system is simple, very little wiring. You need to
get the donor system, including fuel pump. You remove the carb's fuel pump
and put the control pressure regulator there. The CIS pump mounts by the gas
tank and you may need to run high pressure fuel lines from the pump to the
fuel distributor. You will need to wire in a fuel pump relay, as a safety
measure.

Now, I think the original 1.6 GTi motor did not have a knock sensor ignition
system. You should be able to use your original system. But you can install
the Knock sensing system from a later Golf or Jetta with a high compression
8v motor/CIS-e (in US 85-87 GTI/GLI). Not that hard, and odds are that your
ignition system could use some attention anyway. Let me know if you want
more instructions on this.

Good luck and keep us updated.

By the way, where in Sweden are you? I'll be visiting there in July, and
I'll be near Orebro. If you're close maybe I can visit.

Good luck,
Jonas