Woe is me

ok guys - I am sure it's no big deal to change, but I've never had to do
it - Last night my alternator left me stranded on the other side of town. It
was late so I had to leave my roc behind.

The symptoms:
drove fine over there...let it sit roughly 3 hours- got in it and nothing. I
mean it turned over but sounded like I had left the lights on..I hadn't.
Finally get the car jumped...make it half a block, lights dim...car cuts
off..never to start again -
I left it there and came home. I do not have a Bentley. I have a Haynes and
a Chilton's (both given to me) and the process looks fairly easy. Now how
hard is it to replace this alternator on my 87 16v w/ac? Also, my ac belt
broke on tuesday and I have yet to replace it - are they related? What
should I be looking for when I get started and what difficulties can I
expect to encounter?
Thanx in advance guys and all help is sincerely appreciated. This comes at
the lamest of times and may even KILL my trip to CINCY. I was scrapin the
barrel as it is..8(
Bobby G
87 16v
Jax., FL