Fuel transfer pump

My 86 rocco 16V just start acting up.

when hot outside sometimes the engine will actlike it is missing when
accelerating, and if I floor it the engine starts to buck.  Idles good and
when not underload revs to redline fine.  No vacum leaks.   I know there was
a recall on the transfer pump for some 85 to 88 scirocco and cabriolets for
this problem, but since it only happens under load don't know if it is a
fuel problem.  In cold weather it was not having problems.

Does this soundlike more like a fuel problem or an ignition problem?

Robert