Re: Turbo sourcing

Sorry I took so long in getting back on thise one - I left it unanswered
with the intention of coming back to it when I had more time and it
quickly scrolled off the screen... :)

On Thu, 24 May 2001, Aaron Ness wrote:

> I'm thinking about pulling a turbo from an old TD and putting it on my
> 'rocco.  I understand there will be clearance problems.  Can it be made to
> fit?

I've heard of it being done, but I can't imagine it would be that easy.

> I don't have definite plans yet, or even a source.  What do I need to do to
> fit the turbo, i.e. plumbing the intake, etc.?  Does it blow through the
> airflow plate, or is it fed in after this?  Never having looked at a TD, is
> there a similar fuel distributor arrangement so all the plumbing would be
> provided?

Because VW (turbo)diesels are unthrottled, the plumbing reflects this.
The intake for the turbo is fed directly from the air box, then the
compressed air is dumped straight into the intake manifold.  The TD intake
is tall and narrow, to accomodate for the turbo.  The intake is on the
passenger's side of the engine, which makes a gas swap tricky.  I have
heard that if you flip the turbo upside-down, it will solve the clearance
problem, and would also go towards solving the problem of getting the
compressed air past the throttle plate.

> What cars would possibly have a TD?  Old Quantums - anything else?  How do I
> know the turbo is good?

Quantums, A1 and A2 Jettas, and a very small handful of Rabbits.  These
are probably harder to come by stateside than they are up here north of
the border, where diesels accounted for probably 30% of VW sales since
they were first introduced.  A good turbo should spin freely (may take a
while if it's been sitting) but not have excessive end play (most
noticeable on the exhaust side)  In addition to the turbo, you need the
exhaust manifold, the oil filter flange, the oil supply line for the
turbo, and the oil return line for the turbo, as well as the oil pan (has
a fitting for the return line.)  In addition you'll need the turbo
downpipe and front pipe for an A1 chassis, or else be prepared for some
exhaust modifications.

> Since I have a spare JH, I was just going to slap together a cheap turbo
> system for my 1.7 in the car, just for shits and giggles.

In short, I believe you'd be looking at some serious work to make a TD
turbo work on a gas engine.  Once you have a look at one on a car, you
might have a better  idea what you're up against.

HTH,

Drew

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca