Re: How to ruin a cylinder head? Or, Yes I'm a dumb-a**!!

I would have to say that you have bent the metal sheild behind the
intermediate shaft pulley. You have 2 options. one, remove the sheild and
attempt to bend it back into place or, two, run it until the noise goes
away. The noise will go away if you choose option 2.

>From the "I can't believe I did something so stupid" file:
>
>I've been doing a lot of work on my '85, like replacing the
>timing belt / tensioner / p-side mount etc.  While at it, I
>thought I'd replace the cam with one from a 1.6 that I had
>around here.  After dealing with the mount (took two days
>to get it removed), the cam work went quickly.  Got
>everything back together, turned the key and heard a
>God-awful metel-metal screech when the car started...
>Going quickly through a mental checklist I realized with
>great horror that I had forgotten to pre-lube the cam.
>D'OH!!!  (Yes, I was REALLY having one of those days)  Just
>in case, I replaced the tensioner with the old one - same
>screeching.  Uh-oh...
>
>I'm guessing at this point that I *may* have just trashed
>the bearings in the head & ruined the cam.  I haven't
>looked yet, haven't had the courage.  That and I've gotten
>to the point in this project to say the heck with it for a
>day or two. (This was yesterday)  If I've done what I fear,
>what are my options?
>

>=====
>Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
>'80 Scirocco S,                Parting out:
>'82 Pickup                     '80 Scirocco
>'85 Scirocco 8v                '85 Scirocco 8v
>'88 Scirocco 16v               '87 Scirocco 8v
>'91 Passat
>"I am who I am. What else could I be?" - Lara Fabian

Chris DeLong
ICQ#45030867
Seattle, WA USA
'80 16V 'Rocco ragtop