How to ruin a cylinder head? Or, Yes I'm a dumb-a**!!

>From the "I can't believe I did something so stupid" file:

I've been doing a lot of work on my '85, like replacing the
timing belt / tensioner / p-side mount etc.  While at it, I
thought I'd replace the cam with one from a 1.6 that I had
around here.  After dealing with the mount (took two days
to get it removed), the cam work went quickly.  Got
everything back together, turned the key and heard a
God-awful metel-metal screech when the car started...
Going quickly through a mental checklist I realized with
great horror that I had forgotten to pre-lube the cam.
D'OH!!!  (Yes, I was REALLY having one of those days)  Just
in case, I replaced the tensioner with the old one - same
screeching.  Uh-oh...

I'm guessing at this point that I *may* have just trashed
the bearings in the head & ruined the cam.  I haven't
looked yet, haven't had the courage.  That and I've gotten
to the point in this project to say the heck with it for a
day or two. (This was yesterday)  If I've done what I fear,
what are my options?

=====
Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
'80 Scirocco S,                Parting out:
'82 Pickup                     '80 Scirocco
'85 Scirocco 8v                '85 Scirocco 8v
'88 Scirocco 16v               '87 Scirocco 8v
'91 Passat
"I am who I am. What else could I be?" - Lara Fabian