Re: What Oil to Use in a 16V and 8V?

>Guys and gals,
>
>I just got back from the mechs and he told me that I was using the wrong
>oil
>grade in my 16V.  He said to definitely use 20W50 in a 16V motor.  I've
>been
>using 10W40 since the rebuild last Fall (car stored for the winter).  Have
>done any damage to the motor?

No damage done. If you read the Bentley it will give you a graph of what
weight of oil to use for your climate.

I use 20/50W in my cars and I am located in Seattle WA. The climate here
rarely goes over 85 and even more rarely goes under 20 Farenheit.

The lifters are also ticking.  Could that be
>caused by the use of thinner oil?

not with that weight. If you were running 10W then you might have a problem.
I am ASSuming you live in Canada by your email addy; judging by the climate
you guys see I dont see any problem with running 10W/40 during the winter
and 20/50 during the summer.

>Finally, the 8V in my Vwabbit is burning oil.  Once again, should i be
>using
>20W50?  Any suggestions are definitely welcomed.

Once again. Waht is your climate? Check the Bentley in the Lubrication and
Maintenance section. It will give you the info you are looking for eh!

Chris DeLong
ICQ#45030867
Seattle, WA USA
'80 16V 'Rocco ragtop