Re: What Oil to Use in a 16V and 8V?

Three words: independant lab tests, with every major oil company
represented ALONG WITH their exact test results. Their oil also exceeds
ALL major motor oil specifications world wide such as:
ILSAC GF-1, GF-2
GM 4718M, 6094M
CHRYSLER MS-6395H
FORD ESE M2C-153F
VW 505.00, 501.01, 500.00
MERCEDES BENZ AG 226.1
JASO VTW Spec.

The proof is in the pudding, man. What do all the other oil's claim? Can
they back them up? Doubtful. You just have to do your research and make
an educated decision. All I know is that in another 300k, I'll still be
driving the same unrebuilt engine (I've already got 284k on the clock,
and still runs like brand new) and that'll be due in large part to the
oil I run. The choice is entirely yours, but it may be the most important
choice you ever make for your engine. I wouldn't make it without at least
doing the research. Facts are facts.

Ryan

On Sat, 26 May 2001 00:44:13 -0700 geordy <grostad@thresholdnetworks.com>
writes:
> snip--
>
> >...and they have the test
> >results to prove it....
> >
> --snip
>
> One word... benchmarketing
>

> >Ryan
> >
> >On Fri, 25 May 2001 13:32:22 -0400 (EDT) pellom@yorku.ca writes:
> >
> >>Guys and gals,
> >>
> >>I just got back from the mechs and he told me that I was using the
>
> >>wrong oil
> >>grade in my 16V.  He said to definitely use 20W50 in a 16V motor.
>
> >>I've been
> >>using 10W40 since the rebuild last Fall (car stored for the
> winter).
> >> Have I
> >>done any damage to the motor?  The lifters are also ticking.
> Could
> >>that be
> >>caused by the use of thinner oil?
> >>
> >>Finally, the 8V in my Vwabbit is burning oil.  Once again, should
> >>be using
> >>20W50?  Any suggestions are definitely welcomed.
> >>
> >>TIA
> >>
> >>Sal
> >>

> >>--
> >>Email LIST problems to: scirocco-l-probs@scirocco.org.