Re: What Oil to Use in a 16V and 8V?

10W40 mineral oil shouldn't be used in _anything_ IMHO.  In our climate
5W30 or 10W30 for winter, 10W30 for spring/fall and 15W40 for summer is
the way to go in a VW, 16V, or 8V.

20W50 is too heavy a grade for the weather we see here in southern
Ontario, and in our little VW's will only adversely effect power and
mileage.

Noisy lifters can be a result of too thin an oil at too high an ambient
temperature, or it can be because of low oil pressure (bad pump, worn main
bearings) or faulty lifters.  I would not, hwoever, try to mask the
problem by filling with a heavier oil than is necessary.

I had an 85 Golf (briefly) that had chronic lifter noise and low oil
pressure in the head.  It was only after the engine was out of the car and
I had removed the head that I discovered about half of the orange valve
cover rubber and a cam bearing nut down two of the oil passages in the
head.

Drew

On Fri, 25 May 2001 pellom@yorku.ca wrote:

> Guys and gals,
>
> I just got back from the mechs and he told me that I was using the wrong oil
> grade in my 16V.  He said to definitely use 20W50 in a 16V motor.  I've been
> using 10W40 since the rebuild last Fall (car stored for the winter).  Have I
> done any damage to the motor?  The lifters are also ticking.  Could that be
> caused by the use of thinner oil?
>
> Finally, the 8V in my Vwabbit is burning oil.  Once again, should i be using
> 20W50?  Any suggestions are definitely welcomed.
>
> TIA
>
> Sal

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca