Re: [TECH][OT cabby A1] rebuild

Brian McGarvey wrote:

> hey ya'll
> Just convinced the wife she wants a rabbit cabby. her requirements are
> that its Red, White or black top , gray interior, and not lowered, and NO
> louder than stock.
>
> I already decided the not lowered is gone out the window. she wont notice
> and inch :-)

Black top is easier to keep looking fit.

Softsport springs won't lower it (much) but will still help over stock
springs. You put a front resonator in the exhaust chain (if you swap out
the cat-back part) and it will quite down the whole thing.  Larger
throttle matched to the manifold and a med-large diameter cat back will
offset the restriction add by the front resonator.

> But how does one build up a strong motor that is quiet? If the cabby is in
> good shape structurally what can i actually stick in it? 8v + turbo ( i
> cant stand turbos...), G60, 2.0L 16v? or just a little kick ass 8v?

You should think simple, simple, simple. The wife will not think highly
of you and your little obsession if it acts up one day and she gets
stuck somewhere with a hybridized mobile a'side the road.

I'm thinking 8v with a few trimmings, maybe a hydro head swap if it's an
early car- (quieter), for sport you can get a short ratio trans and swap
the 5th to a taller touring gear ratio,  factory dual downpipe and
manifold work decent without too much noise,  no straight through muffler.

You might also want to consider a bit of sound proofing behind the door
panels and under the carpet, in the bottom of the trunk area- makes for
that refined auto feel. "I like it, I don't know why...".

> oh and where do I look on the cabby for structure damage (rust)?
> brian

Rear axle beam mounts on the underside of the body, pull up the carpet a
bit to peek around the door sills, the rear shock towers (rear seat
area), front of the doors' hinges (between the fender and the door, down
low), wait a min- I live in California; what do _I_ know about rust?
; ])  .

hth,
TBerk