Re: [mk2][tech][brakes] What size flare wrench do I need?

This is somewhat of a 'hack' method since I don't have a flare wrench, but I have gotten by really well with a pair of mini vice-grips.  I bought mine at home depot for $10.  By the way, the nut size on the hard line is 11mm if I remember correctly.  The thing is, these nuts always seem to strip when using the 11 to 'crack' the union b/w the hard and soft line (even though the damn thing fits), hence the mini vice grips.  Works great and doesn't chew the nut on the hard line if you do it right.

Just remember to soak that junction (hard and soft line) in penetrating oil (liquid wrench, etc.) overnight.  It will make your life A LOT easier.  Just use the vice grips to crack the union and then you can use the 11mm to unscrew it.  Plus, now you have a multi purpose tool in the mini vice grip, instead of a brake specific tool.  I have found the mini vice grips to come in very handy in many many situations.

Oh yeah, it is a lot easier to get at the lines if you drop the axle a little.  Its a piece of cake, just unscrew to two nuts (17mm, or 19mm) on both sides while having a jack underneath the trailing arm.  After you remove the nuts, just lower the trailing arm a little with the jack (but not too much since you don't want to pull on the brake lines) to get easier access to the brake lines.  It's a simple procedure that will make your life easier.

HTH

Victor

>>> Wojciech Galecki <galecki@umr.edu> 05/23 11:51 AM >>>
What is the correct size flare wrench for brake fittings on a mk2 8v? I've
been getting by with a standard wrench (I  know, I know..) but want to get
a metric one. I think it's either 11 or 12mm ? Also, what is the size of
the "compression nut" that screws into the nut you hold with the flare?
(Mine are somewhat corroded and I think I may be using one size too big)

I need this tool to replace my rear brake lines with the steel ones I got
from Potterman. Space seems to be tight back there. Does VW expect us to
drop the rear axle in order to have more room or what. I can get my hands
in there, but a flare wrench?

thanks,

___Wojciech Galecki___
'84 8v Scirocco