Re: poor man's hot rodding

TBerk gives good advice.

Dont even bother with the injectors.  Like TBerk said, run injector cleaner
through them and be done with it.  There are performance CIS injectors out
there, but I wouldn't imagine that they give you more than 1-2hp on the top
end.  Only on a highly modified engine would this matter.  Most of the mid-
to high-power 8v and 16v guys I know use stock injectors.  I wouldn't even
bother getting them flow balanced or what have you, I don't think it's worth
the wait or the money.  Your money is better spent elsewhere.

What is considered "budget"?  160hp can be done for under $1000 quite easily
if you are resourceful.  It would require swapping a 2.0 16v bottom end in
place.

Getting your car running the way it should can make a huge difference.
Basic maintenance is essential before getting performance stuff.

As far as your hesitation problems, it most definitely sounds like the
ignition system.  TBerk mentioned the coil, I would also examine the plug
wires.  A faulty wire can cause the the engine to misfire at certain rpms
and run smoothly at other rpms.  As with all electrical problems,
check/improve all grounds and connections.

Whoa...enough rambling...

Joe