Re: poor man's hot rodding

Dan Miller wrote:

> I could use some performance tips.  i dont have a high or even medium bugdet, so give me the cheapass version.  wht can i do to make my near stock rocco push 160 hp?  is it possible with just tuning?
>
> also, anybody have an extra set of 4, good, clean injectors lying around?  They msut be in good condition with a proper spray pattern.  Also, if anybody has a set of performance (i.e. neuspeed) injectors that they are willking to sell, i am interested.
>
> Dan miller
>
> [ ][ ]==(W)==[ ][ ]  88 rocco 16v
>
> [  ]====(W)====[  ]  87 golf GT
>
> STILL NEED SOME HELP WITH MY LOW POWER/MISSING/HESITATION PROBLEM
> --

Depends on your definition of 'tuning'. I don't think you are going to
cheap your way to 160 HP, but you can get on the good side of 125-135hp
without too much.

Better breathing will be key; getting the air in and then out of the
engine. The 16v is not as moddable as the 8 valve (at least for no other
reason than it being a smaller segment of the market; less development)
and usually parts are more expensive than the 8 v.

I'm an 8 v kinda guy so I will beg out of the specifics at this time and
turn my attention to the injectors you mention.

Are yours so shot that they _must_ be replaced? Tried running
concentrated fuel cleaner through them? Tried soaking in one of those
ultrasonic cleaners?

If you do end up replacing them you might consider getting a set that
has been 'blueprinted'- a process that measures & matches four that
spray the same and flow the same for balance performance.

I don't see how a different brand will add performance unless you are
running a turbo or something. Just getting back to normal performance is
a good thing- I'll bet the flow enough for your needs.

If the injectors flow good (conical spray, fine mist) then I think you
should be sure your spark is up to snuff. This type of failure can cause
the low end missing you describe- it sometimes goes away at mid to high
revs because the dist is spinning faster. (Had an old Audi 100 that died
when idling down but ran great on the freeway, shot dist seal/bushing.
Allowed shaft to wobble around.)

Besides the dist (you _do_ have the 16v) the coil may not be getting a
good source of 12v going in. I have seen a lot more 'the trouble was the
12v running from my fuse box to the coil' type troubles lately.

Well, I've been all over the map but hth,
TBerk