Re: Control Arm Bushings

Yes and no.  Hard to get the existing rubber bushings out, unless you press
them.  My suggestion is:

IF you have the old balljoint in (rivets still in arm), just buy new blank
control arms from Adirondack or Potterman ($25 from Adirondack - they are
new and *sweet*).  That way you have nice, empty holes for a the new
balljoint bolts to fit into, plus you don't have to worry about getting the
old bushings out.

Now, if you go that route, or whatever route you go, you have to get new
ones (bushings) in.  If you go with OEM rubber, you will no doubt need to
press them in.  If you go aftermarket poly (I always do), be aware that some
of the sold kits might be a bit larger than the opening.  Like on my last
set.  First set I did in '94 fit perfectly.  Btw, the front mount for poly
mounts is split in two.  You simply piece them in from either opening for
the mount.  (continuing) Whereas with my newest set of poly mounts, they
were a little too 'long' for the opening on the frame.  I had to take a
C-clamp and compress the mount pieces together, get it started in the frame,
tap it in with a poly-faced hammer (if you don't have one, GET ONE - a
simple dual-headed poly/rubber faced hammer - priceless for VW stuff), and
they are fine.  MAKE SURE YOU GREASE W/ MOLY GREASE!

HTH!

-Phil