cooling problems

My 87 16V runs at 3/4 to just below the top white line on the water temp
guage.  This seems very high to me, so I:

Replaced fan switch
Replaced thermostat
Flushed/backflushed entire system
Removed radiator, flushed, seems to flow fine.
Ran car with top radiator hose disconnected, water gushes - water pump seems
fine
Checked all hoses - no leaks, or collapses

Car still runs at 3/4 to just below white line.  I don't know what else to
do.  Fan cycles on and off, but at this very high temp.  Shouldn't the car
be running near half way - the light?  What else should I try?

I need help!!!!

Brad

87 16V