Re: why oversteer with stock setup?

With stock springs at all corners, the re-introduction of a front bar is
likely to increase the amount of oversteer. The strut design of our car's
front suspension permits a gross amount of camber change in a roll
condition. In turn, this camber change substantially decreases the amount of
available traction. Yeah, removing the front bar will increase your
suspension independence, but the associated traction gain does not offset
the greater loss due to those camber changes.

Extremely stiff springs may be employed to maintain the proper amount of
front roll stiffness. However, on normal roads, such a stiff spring rate
will promote traction problems as the car becomes unsettled over road
imperfections. The ride will be uncomfortable as well.

To make a case in point, I run stock GTi swaybars on the Warpig. However, I
use polyurethane bushings on the rear bar only. This promotes a better
turn-in response and initial oversteer which then it transitions into a
neutral cornering stance as the front bar goes to work. My project Rocco
(almost done fellas!) is tuned with a 19mm front bar and a 25mm rear. I
consider this ideal for driving on moderately smooth backroads although it
is probably too mild for intense autocrossing.
--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut

Check out our rally team's website!